![]() |
| The Anunciation, Henry Ossawa Tanner |
While the resident family musician writes an explanation as to why we chose Cadence as our daughter's first name, I'll tell you about her middle name.
Often when difficulties come, my first question is “Why?”
Surprisingly, that was not the first thought that crossed my mind when we were
told that our daughter has some severe congenital conditions. I actually didn’t have a question. Just a complaint. I don’t want this. Not for me, not for her.
Then the next thing I thought of was the Christmas story.
Then the next thing I thought of was the Christmas story.
Last December, for some reason, the part of Christ's first coming that struck me anew was Mary’s response to the announcement of the conception
of her miraculous Son. I can think of so
many things I would have said had that angel brought me such news. “Why
me?”, obviously. “Don’t you know how
this will change my life?” and “Are you sure this is the best plan?” But all Mary said was "Behold, the bondslave of the Lord; may it be done to me according to your word." (Luke 1:38 NAS)
Her life was turned upside down by an unplanned pregnancy, village gossip, a fiancee who didn't know what to do, and a tough road trip while 9 months pregnant. As if that weren't enough, when her baby boy was only days old,
Mary was promised that because of Him, “a sword will pierce even
your own soul.” (Luke 2:35 NAS)
That’s what I am
most afraid of…the pain that I know is coming – either of watching my helpless
little baby undergo surgeries and procedures, hoping that they will save her
life, or of having to say goodbye to her.
It will pierce my soul. But Mary bore
this as well. And she said goodbye to her Son so that we could be offered peace with God.
I am praying for her heart of submission and trust for both
myself and for my daughter. So, Cadence's
middle name is Maria – to remind my husband and I to be God’s willing slaves in this circumstance and all other circumstances He brings into our lives, and to
ask Him that our daughter would one day be His faithful servant as well.

What an amazing testimony, thanks for sharing Sarah.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your heart and your hurts. I will be praying with you over the coming days, weeks, and months.
ReplyDelete