So, remember how several weeks ago I wrote a post telling you how you could pray for us? I want to share with you some ways in which God has answered those prayers.
1. Our marriage. God has blessed and deepened our relationship in the last several weeks. We've cried together, prayed together, written together, been tough together, been weak together, and just been together. Trials are no fun, but walking through them with your best friend, lover, and protector is the way to go!
2. Our daughter. Amazingly, she remembers. One day last week she pulled Arthur's baby blanket out of the box in our room and brought it to me, saying "Arshur bankie." We got to talk about how she counted his fingers and toes, how Mommy and Daddy held him, how everyone cried (this seems to have made a big impression on her) and how now he is in heaven with Jesus. Then, like a busy toddler, she moved on. She does act out the most when I am the most emotionally checked out, so we are still working through that...both of us. She still brings smile after smile to our faces, day after day.
3. Our extended family. He allowed everyone who planned to be there to get to the hospital before Arthur arrived so that they could meet him, and in the last few weeks has given us many sweet times to be together. They have taken such good care of us!
4. Decision-making. We've made it through most of the hard decisions. They weren't fun to make or talk about, and there were times when it took us far longer than it should have, but God was incredibly gracious in giving us an ability to make decisions and rest in them. Especially in the days after Arthur's birth and death...we both had clarity and strength that we didn't expect.
5. Delivery. I could wax eloquent here about the many ways God answered prayers. I know some of you were praying for the medical team who would care for us. They were beyond incredible, and I don't say that flippantly. They took care of us in ways I hadn't even thought to pray for. I know some of you were praying for my labor, especially as I had to be induced. I'm not a fan of Pitocin contractions, but God allowed everything to go smoothly and (fairly) easily. His timing, the advice and care of doctor and nurse and husband and sister, and His strength brought Arthur into the world safely. I know you were praying for me, that I would be physically and emotionally there when Arthur arrived. Let me tell you, God answered that prayer in exceeding abundant ways. I don't remember being tired or loopy or in pain or anything...I just remember holding my son and watching his daddy love him. Thanks to the amazing medical team, I was able to quickly recover so that our family could join us and we could introduce them all to our son. We didn't have to stay an extra night in the hospital, which was probably good psychologically. Recovery once we got home went fairly smoothly as well.
6. Life. Well, we are just inching back into life, so maybe I should wait to update you on this one. It was good to stop for a week or two to grieve, recover physically, and be together. Thank you for facilitating that through the meals and gift cards you have provided, not expecting us to return calls and emails and messages quickly, and welcoming us back as we merge back into work, church, to-do lists, and the rest of life. Thank you for inviting us to join you in so many wonderfully normal activities as we readjust to "normal". Please continue to pray, especially for me, that I would have wisdom to know how to walk this road of simultaneous grief and joy, knowing when to step away from life and when to step into it fully.
7. God's glory. We get glimpses, through things you've told us, of how God's character and deeds are being praised through Arthur's life. Thank you for sharing with us! We can't wait to get to heaven to see our son again and to look back and see all that God was doing through this thread in our life tapestry.
8. A miracle. Thank you for praying with faith and tears for something that didn't seem likely. It takes a willingness to be vulnerable before the Lord and others to pray like you prayed for us. Thank you for continuing to trust in God's goodness and faithfulness even though He chose to say no to this request.
If you want to hear more, just ask! We have loved hearing how you have specifically prayed and love even more being able to tell you how God answered your prayers. We are beyond honored and blessed by the time and love you have put into making requests known to God on our behalf.
No comments:
Post a Comment