![]() |
| Jesus and Children, Lucas Cranach |
My 3-year-old continues to grieve milestones for me. As her baby sister grows, she repeatedly
asks, “When Arthur comes back with Jesus, will he eat squash? Will he sit in
the high chair? Maybe I can teach
Arthur to walk!” After many iterations
of this conversation (to be fair, babies hit a lot of milestones in that first
year!), I finally buckled down to explain the eternal state to her. “When Jesus comes back, Arthur will have a
perfect body. He won’t have to learn to
do any of these things. He’ll already
know how! He might be big like Uncle
Andrew.” (Since Arthur was the spitting image of his uncle as a newborn, deep
in my heart I harbor a vision of a man-child who looks like my brother running
to embrace me in his long arms.)
And, bless her heart, she took me at my word. I’ve not had to field any more questions
about Arthur growing up. However, she
also has begun planning their collective eternal future (big sister prerogative…). As of right now, they are going to go to the
park and the swimming pool, they will run together, and maybe do a little
painting. Oh, and take Arthur shopping for clothes.
Right there, ladies and gentlemen, is child-like faith. When I tell my daughter that tomorrow we will
go to Papa and Grandma’s, she believes me.
And then the next day comes, and her belief in me is not
disappointed. When I told her that the
swimming pool would open in June, she believed me, and sure enough, in June,
the swimming pool opened. When I told
her that it will be Christmas again, she believed me. And Christmas came. So, when I tell her that Jesus will come back
and Arthur will be with Him, she believes me.
She puts Christ’s second coming in the same category as every other
thing she waits for. Then she plans accordingly - confidently and expectantly. It’s not some mystical, far-off, someday
event. It’s real to her, just like the
swimming pool and Christmas.
My heart yearns in several places as I hear her. First, I grieve my own lack of faith. When did I become so jaded, so grown-up, that
God’s promise of eternal redemption and bliss seems less sure, less close, less
real than my earthly experiences? Should
I find God less trustworthy than my daughter finds me?
I hurt for the future, when perhaps she will approach the
kingdom of God less like a child, when years of waiting will make the promise
seem less certain, when I will have to comfort her because she misses her
brother who she barely knew.
It makes me think of a verse from a beautiful poem I read in
Spanish Lit:*
Desperté de ser niño. /I awoke from being a child.
Nunca despiertes. /Don't ever wake up.
Triste llevo la boca. /My mouth is sad.
Ríete siempre. /May you laugh forever.
Nunca despiertes. /Don't ever wake up.
Triste llevo la boca. /My mouth is sad.
Ríete siempre. /May you laugh forever.
So I pray for both of us,
that I will trust God like my girl trusts me.
That she will not awake from childhood in this sense.
Next, I long and pray for her salvation. Because I want to see her run and play and
swim and paint with her little brother.
It’s such a small part of why I pray this prayer, but I would be lying
to say it wasn’t a part at all.
And most of all, I just
ache for the day when God keeps His promise, when His Son comes back to be the
king forever, and when I can share eternity with my son, with whom I got to
share so little of space and time. Maybe I'll get to go swimming with him, too.
*Nanas de la cebolla, by Miguel Hernandez. (A
jailed dissident during the Spanish Civil War, writing to his infant son.)

I absolutely loved this. Thank you so much for sharing. It is so instructive to my own heart.
ReplyDelete