“We think no one should have to plan their
baby’s funeral. But we are one of the
first and only societies to think that.”
These were some of the most profound words
that the neonatologist said to us last week.
I had actually been thinking about this fact since we first found out
how likely it was that we would lose Arthur almost 3 months ago.
Now just seems like a more appropriate time to share these thoughts.
I’m very thankful that so many people are
deeply saddened with me knowing that Arthur will not live for very long. I’m thankful for the pity, the tears, the
sympathy. After all, I've been tempted to believe that this is a burden no one can or should have to bear. But I am wrong. Just think with me.
Think of the billions of women for
thousands of years, who lost, by most estimates, 25-30% of their babies under a
year old. If you crunch the numbers,
this means you would have been hard-pressed to find a woman who had NOT lost a
child. Weep with me, but weep with our
great-great-great grandmothers as well.
Think of the millions of women in
developing countries today who still lose 10-20% of their babies under a year
old. They are not just a picture in
National Geographic or the BBC World News.
Grieve with me, but grieve with them also.
Think of birth mothers who choose to give
their children in adoption. No matter
the circumstance, they had to say goodbye to their babies. Have sympathy for me, but have sympathy for
them too.
Think of all your friends who have suffered
through a miscarriage or stillbirth. Statistically,
everyone reading this should know several women in this category. They have lost children as well, and probably
never had the opportunity to hold their precious baby. My pain is real. Their pain is just as real.
Think of women who are unable to bear children. They grieve over the babies they may never carry, the loss of their hopes and dreams of motherhood, their "failure" to meet the expectations of family, friends, and society. Have a tender heart toward their silent suffering.
Pain and grief can be an incredibly
isolating experience. It seems the more I
believe I am alone or I am the only person who has had to suffer like this, the
more likely I am to become angry, bitter, or overwhelmed. Acknowledging that many others have had to
walk this same path doesn’t diminish my sadness, but it puts the sadness into
perspective. This suffering doesn’t
require me to be extra-human. It’s a
part of being human.
Scripture speaks to this principle in I
Corinthians 10:13:“No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to
man;”
While the medical difficulties Arthur has
are quite rare, I have been reminded so often in the last few months that my
pain is not. What I am going through is
actually quite common to man (or woman, to be a bit more precise…).
How precious the promise in the rest of I
Corinthians 10:13 is: “and God is
faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but
with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be
able to endure it.”

No comments:
Post a Comment